Bring your family and friends to Kalona Sept. 27 and 28 for the Kalona Fall Festival, which has special activities, food and crafts to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Kalona Historical Society.
Gates open at 9 a.m. Friday, Sept. 27 and will be open until 9 p.m. Saturday hours are 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Enjoy a variety of delicious food including biscuits and sausage gravy in the mornings, biscuits and chicken gravy in the afternoon, apple fritters, onion rings, large pretzels, rib on a stick, tenderloins, homemade ice cream, pies, homemade Copper Kettle apple butter and fresh bread made in a wood fired oven, turkey legs grilled, and much more.
New this year will be Hot Beef Sundaes by Ila (Henry) Miller. This new dish is made of mashed potatoes smothered in roast beef and gravy topped with a cherry tomato. Also new will be apple slushes served by the Wellman Library Foundation.
You can browse the historic buildings, see the large variety of crafts, antique farm machinery, spinning wheel demonstrations, rug weaving, quilting, corn grinding, and more. Your entrance button gives you access to all the historic buildings, the Amish Quilt Museum and the Kalona Quilt & Textile Museum which will be featuring a new display of crazy quilts.
A special treat will be a new quilt display in the new Wahl Museum featuring the history of immigration. This display features 25 quilts with supporting artifacts to tell the story of immigration to this area.
You will also have access to the Reif Rock & Mineral Museum and the nation’s largest display of spool cabinets.
Back by popular demand is the Bear Grove chainsaw wood carver from Cumberland, Iowa. You can watch him carving and you will be able to buy his carvings in a special auction Saturday in the main tent starting at 2 p.m.
MCC Relief Sale will be bringing the popular barrel train ride for the youngsters. They will also be able enjoy the bin of corn and pony rides, face painting, crafts you can take home, and a talent show.
For the adults, there will be wine tasting and Kalona Brewing Company will be giving samples of their beer including their Oktoberfest special brew.
Friday, Sept. 27
- 11:45 a.m. – Pathway Christian School music.
- 12:45 p.m. – Mid-Prairie Schools bands
- 1:45 p.m. – Mid-Prairie Choirs
- 2:45 p.m. – Hillcrest Academy music
- 3:45 p.m. – M-P Homeschoolers String Ensemble
- 5 p.m. – Alvin & the Gravel Scratchers
- 6 p.m. – Just Us Girls of Washington
- 7 p.m. – Cedar County Cobras
Saturday, Sept. 28
- 11 a.m. – Heart Strings
- 12 p.m. – River City 6 Brass Band
- 2 p.m. – Wood Carving Auction
- 2:30 p.m. – Talent Show
On the Grounds
- Wine and Beer sampling, 11- 9 p.m. Friday, and 9 -4 Saturday.
- Pony Rides – 3 to 8 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Library Crafts -11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 12 pm. Saturday.
- The Loom House will be open with spinning and weaving demonstrations..
- Old farm machinery is on the grounds all day, both days.